Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Overland Dream

Land Rover 109 - Overland Expedition Prepared
The Overland Dream, for me, needs nurturing and feeding.  The dream needs to grow... it needs to expand... to needs to be fulfilled.  It needs to be kept inspired, kept fresh and sometimes it needs to be shared.

One way I keep my overland dream alive is to admire photos from overland-related websites.  I first started searching independent overland expedition websites in the mid 1990's.  It was an extremely slow process of attemping to search via an internet dial-up connection.  The content was hard to find, and when I did, the photos were generally scanned using a low resolution.  However tedious the process seemed, each new website was inspirational and the photos I viewed made an impression on me.  I liked the grey sketched image (on the left) but have no idea where I found it.

I used the following quote on my first overland website...

The original websites have long vanished from web servers but a few remain... Here is one of my favourite websites:
In and Out of Africa - Derek Tearne

What inspires and keeps your overland dream alive?

21-Nov-12 Postscript:
Thanks to the wonders of the internet and image search features, I found the front of the Land Rover image (above).  The Land Rover turned out to be a Series II.  Unfortunately the person who took the photo is still anonymous.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Martin,
    I must have been in my early twenties, some 35 years ago, when I came across a book called Trans-Africa Motoring by Colin McElduff. It was extremely inspiring, and the "overlanding bug" has never left me. I am now preparing for an overlanding trip to Cape Town and back, and the book is still on my desk!

    Happy travels,

    Gee Hurkmans
    The Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gee,
      Exciting times ahead for you after all these years. I also have Colin McElduff's two books and both are an interesting insight from decades ago. See http://overland-live.blogspot.com.au/2010/05/asia-overland-notes-from-archives.html
      Good luck with your planning and your upcoming adventure. Keep me posted.

      Delete
  2. I, like you, love to read about other people's expeditions. Thank the Great Creator above that we all have high speed internet. Sadly though I think I have managed to surf to the edge of the internet because I rarely see "new" pictures. Sometimes a blessing is indeed a curse.
    Take more picture people, bad or good, just take more.
    www.okierover.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi OkieRover - I am with you on this. I wish people would take time to scan in their old overlanding photos, or even their parents and grandparents photos and show us a few photos from the archives.

      Delete

Comments always welcome...